Friday, October 3, 2008

Lies about recoil.

I'm always amused when I tell someone that I carry a .45 and they ooh and ahh about what a large caliber it is and what a kick it must have. I get the feeling that they are only saying that because I'm a 5'1" female of 117 lbs. I have noticed that small people in general and females can get that reaction quite often. Why? I haven't the foggiest idea.

Recoil is usually blown way out of proportion regarding smaller folks. While I have no desire to fire a 12 ga locked breech shotgun again anytime in the near future (because it hurts), it's nowhere near powerful enough to lay me on my ***.

My advice for other little people? Fear no ammo less powerful and including 22ga, 30-30, or 44 mag. For ammo more powerful than that, give it some consideration -- but don't worry yourself about it until you get up to 12ga, etc. I have found that the best way to get an approximate idea of what a particular gun will feel like is to look at a calculated value of recoil energy (RE) chart.

Here's links for:
Rifle, Rifle 2 (more extensive, but not sorted by RE)
Shotgun
Handgun (not sorted - anyone find a better chart?)

I wish people would be more realistic about what does and doesn't "kick", when giving advice. I've heard big guys talking about how a 12 ga is no big deal, but then they get bruised like everyone else if they're not used to it and fire more than a few rounds. They're lying to look cool. On the other hand, I've had some folks act mystified when hearing about what I like to carry. . . . as if it's a problem. They're lying to themselves to feel better about the caliber they carry.

Part of the irony is that I really don't care if you're a 6' tall man who weighs 280 lbs and you like a 9mm. It doesn't make me think you're less of a man. It's easier for you to conceal? I say "Good for you." Shoot what you like. But don't patronize me for liking my .45.

No comments: